Saturday, May 1, 2010

What To Do With Those Overripe Bananas

What to do with those overripe bananas that are too ripe to eat? When your bananas have more black spots then yellow. When the stems look like a ripcord, just about to rip. Why not make Banana Nut Cookies.

This morning as I strolled into the kitchen I noticed the bananas on the kitchen counter were turning black spotted. My first thought was to make banana bread. But then I realized this was a perfect opportunity to create a new cookie recipe.

Throwing caution to the wind I started to create a cookie recipe out of my tried and true banana nut bread recipe. I added a few more ingredients and added to some ingredients and subtracted from some ingredients. Then I began baking. The first batch came out shaped like cookies, but was fluffy like cake. They tasted pretty much like banana nut bread. Not bad, but not what I was trying to create. I then added more butter and sugar to make them a little crisper and sweeter. What makes a good cookie into a great cookie? Chocolate chips. I added a bag of quality chocolate chips. Quality is the key word here; the quality of your chocolate chips can either make or break a good cookie. This batch was good but needed some extra texture. I didn't want to create a cake cookie. I wanted to create a cookie. The next batch I added coconut and oats. Wow, what a difference! The coconut and oats not only added texture, but added crispiness and chewiness too.

What was that old saying? Something like, "when life give you lemons make lemon aid." In other words, when life gives you overripe bananas make banana nut chocolate chip cookies. Any time you have fruit taking the southern route there is always a recipe, let me say a cookie recipe to create.

Cream together:

2-cups butter

1-cup sugar

1-cup packed brown sugar

2-eggs

3-bananas

½-cup sour cream

After the above ingredients are thoroughly mixed together, mix in:

1½-tsp. baking soda

1-tsp. baking powder

½-tsp. salt

4-cups flour

Mix all these ingredients together well. Now I'll give you some options to add, but you will need to add at least some of these ingredients if not all of them. When baking cookies everyone has their individual tastes. It is always advisable to make a new cookie recipe your own. Add things you like and subtract things you don't. Who knows your cookie may turn out better than the original recipe.

1-cup nuts

1-11.5 oz. bag of chocolate chips

1-cup coconut

1-cup of quick oats

No comments:

Post a Comment