Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Recipe For Delightful Beef Enchiladas

I came up with this straightforward recipe the afternoon of this writing. I wasn't able to discover a beef enchilada recipe that used the ingredients I hoped for, so I chose to try a little inventive cooking of my own. I removed the enchiladas from the oven a little while ago, and I can tell you that they are scrumptious.

The final result was 2 pans full of yummy ground beef enchiladas. There are 4 very big enchiladas in both baking dishes. I covered one of them securely with foil and placed it in the deep freeze. It will be easy to reheat for a quick dinner at a later date. If eight very large enchiladas are too much for you to make use of within a short amount of time, you could easily cut the recipe in half.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1 medium onion, chopped coarsely
1 packet taco seasoning blend
2 teaspoons chili spice
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup water
2 cups prepared brown rice
10 ounces of enchilada sauce
16 ounces of mild salsa
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 package softened cream cheese, 4 ounces
1 15 ounce can kidney beans, well drained
4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
8 10 inch tortilla wraps
small carton sour cream, optional

Preparation:

Brown ground beef in a large frying pan until no longer pink. Add chopped onion and continue cooking until onion is translucent. Drain.

Add the packet of taco seasoning, chili spice, pepper and water to the ground beef mixture. Continue to cook over low to medium heat until a little thickened, about 5 minutes. Lower heat to low. Blend in prepared rice and salsa in the skillet and keep cooking slowly until just about all of the water is consumed. Set aside.

Using a medium sized bowl, mix cream soup, enchilada sauce and softened cream cheese. Stir until smooth. Put aside.

Set out two 9x13 glass baking pans. The pans don't require greasing or cooking spray.

In the center of each tortilla wrap, place approximately 1/2 cup of the hamburger mixture. If you have an excess of meat mixture, simply add some more mixture to each tortilla wrap. Add about two teaspoons of kidney beans to tortilla. Add 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Roll up tortilla and place seamed side down in the 9x13 baking dish. It'll take four enchiladas to fill each pan.

After all 8 enchiladas are full, rolled up and put in the baking pans, drizzle half of sauce mixture over the center of both baking pans. Spread the leftover cheddar cheese on top of both pans. Place in 325 degree oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top layer of cheese is melted and mildly browned. Serve with a spoonful of sour cream, if desired.

As mentioned before, this recipe makes extra large sized enchiladas. It may seem like an awful lot of sauce mixture, and a large quantity of cheese, but I guarantee they come out beautifully. I used flour tortillas only because that's all I had at hand. I'm sure this would work just as well using corn tortillas.

In case you do not have two 9x13 glass pans, three 9x9 baking pans could work quite well. I can't suggest working with metal baking dishes, as the enchiladas will start to taste like metal if they remain in the metal pans for quite a while. Obviously don't use metal pans if you ever need to freeze one of the pans of enchiladas.

In the event you don't like kidney beans, you could go with pinto beans, black beans, chili beans or re-fried beans. I wager hot chili beans would certainly give them an added kick. I only selected kidney beans because of the fact that I love them.

In case you are an olive addict like myself, I bet they could be a superb ingredient to add. It's too bad that I am the only olive enthusiast in my own family. This meant olives weren't an option for me. A handful of chopped bell pepper scattered on top of the layer of cheese would enhance the look of the dish. Do some experimenting and add your favorite foods as you desire.

In addition, this dish is just right for an evening meal dished up with a green salad and garlic bread. Enjoy the dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment