Tuesday, May 4, 2010

How To Make Old-Fashioned Raw Potato Pancakes

I have made all kinds of pancakes. There are pancakes made from leftover mashed potatoes and ones made with instant potato flakes. A flat pancake made with boiled, riced potatoes is known as Lefse. They are all good to eat and made basically the same way except for Lefse which calls for a special technique and utensils. Raw potato pancakes are just a little different as they are more of a savory dish.

To make potato pancakes I use large russet potatoes, a hand grater, a large bowl and a cast iron griddle. I peel the potatoes and place them in a large bowl of cold water and let them soak for 5-hours. This will get a lot of the starch out of the potato and make a better pancake. I make sure the potatoes are completely covered with the water.

The proportions for the pancakes are important. For every 2-cups of grated potatoes I use 2-well beaten eggs, 1-tablespoon of flour, a pinch of baking powder, 1/2-teaspoon salt and 1/4-teaspoon pepper. I mix the eggs and dry ingredients together before I grate the potatoes. If the potatoes stand without being in the batter they tend to start turning black, so I only make enough batter for 2-cups of grated potatoes at a time.

After the potatoes have soaked for 5-hours I grate them one at a time, leaving the whole potatoes in the water until they are grated. When everything is mixed together I put large spoonfuls onto a hot buttered cast iron griddle. I cook them over medium heat until they are golden brown on both sides turning over only once.

Sometimes I grate a little onion with the potatoes and add a sprinkle of nutmeg to the batter. It gives a little different flavor. I like to serve these with pork roast and applesauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment